When Immigration Matters

Karen-Lee Pollak

Recent Posts

What Does CWOP Mean on Your Visa? And How it Affects You

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

It’s a nightmarish scenario: you’re traveling with the visa you know is valid, and yet you’re stopped and told there’s a mistake on your visa. It’s going to have to be labeled CWOP. You’ll have to apply for a new visa before you go anywhere. It can be confusing, disorienting, or even frightening. So here’s the pertinent info you need if your visa comes back with CWOP on it.

Read More

What to Do if You’ve Had a Bad Experience with an Immigration Attorney

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Mon, Jan 08, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

If you conduct a reasonable amount of due diligence — such as by reading reviews and testimonials, and of course having a frank and open discussion prior to agreeing to an engagement — then you will most likely have a productive and effective partnership with your chosen immigration attorney. 

However, just like any other professional field (such as medicine), there is the possibility that you may have a bad experience. While this is certainly not the norm, it does indeed happen on occasion. If so, then here is some practical advice and guidance: 

Read More

F1 vs. J1 Visa: An Overview

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Thu, Jan 04, 2018 @ 11:30 AM
Each year, the U.S. Department of State permits hundreds of thousands of students to enter the U.S. and pursue their academic program. Below, we provide an overview of two popular student visa categories: F1 and J1.   


Read More

How to Switch from a L1 Visa to Green Card

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Fri, Dec 29, 2017 @ 11:30 PM
The L1 visa is a non-immigrant visa category that allows foreign executives, managers, or individuals with specialized knowledge to temporarily transfer to the U.S., in order to work for their employer’s U.S.-based parent, branch, subsidiary or affiliate. The L1-A visa for managers and executives is valid for up to 7 years, including extensions. The L1-B visa for individuals with specialized knowledge is valid for up to 5 years, including extensions.  

If you are currently living and working in the U.S. on an L1 visa, but wish to obtain permanent residency status so that you can legally remain in the country and continue your career, here are the basics of switching from an L1 visa to Green Card (the following applies to both L1A and L1B visa holders):

Read More

What is the K1 Visa?

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Fri, Nov 10, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

While it is (unfortunately) true that all types of visas are subject to some degree of myths and misunderstandings — including a few major falsehoods that have endured for decades —the K1 visa is arguably the least understood; especially among some of its critics who believe that it is merely a way for people to deceptively “marry their way into becoming a permanent resident.” Actually, given the immense amount of rigorous scrutiny and due diligence by the U.S. Foreign Consulate in the petitioner’s native country, and by the USCIS and DHS in the U.S., nothing could be further from the truth!

Read More

E-1 Visa Requirements: What You Need to Know

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Mon, Nov 06, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

To facilitate international trade, the United States government has entered into several independent treaties with various countries. Qualifying citizens or nationals of these countries may be granted a E-1 nonimmigrant visa for the purpose of engaging in trade on their behalf, or on behalf of a qualifying employer. For a current list of countries with which the U.S. Department of State maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation, click here.

Read More

5 Options to Get from F1 Student Visa to Green Card

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Tue, Oct 17, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

The U.S. is not just home of the world’s largest and most robust economy, which attracts investors and entrepreneurs from across the globe. It is also an academic and research leader that, each year, attracts hundreds of thousands of students from around the world who wish to advance their knowledge.  

If you are a student currently living in the U.S. on an active F1 visa, then you may be eligible to apply for a Green Card (a.k.a. Permanent Resident Card). Obtaining this will allow you to legally live and work in the U.S.

Read More

The Differences Between the H1B Visa and H2B Visa

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Tue, Oct 10, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

Here at Pollak PLLC, we are pleased to offer articles and videos to help you get the reliable, accurate and easy-to-understand information you need about various visa and immigration options (obviously we cannot provide specific legal advice, since that can only be done on a case-by-case basis after learning all of the details, factors, variables and so on).

As part of our commitment to educating and empowering you, here is a look at the differences between the H1B visa vs. the H2B visa. Looking at these two visa categories is particularly important in the current political climate, since they have both been in the headlines over the last several months — although for different reasons.

Read More

Resources to Help You Choose the Right Immigration Attorney

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Fri, Sep 15, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

Choosing the right immigration attorney is a critically important decision that will have lasting consequences for your organization (if you are an employer), for your career future (if you are a student or researcher), or for your financial well-being and family (if you are an alien worker who wants to live and work in the U.S). 

However, at the moment you may be unsure — or perhaps you may be confused and concerned — about how to move forward and find the right immigration attorney, which is a professional who is experienced, knowledgeable, responsive and dedicated to guiding you through the process step-by-step.

Read More

Choosing the Right Immigration Attorney: 5 Critical Questions to Ask

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Fri, Sep 08, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

The difference between choosing the right immigration attorney vs. the wrong one is significant, and will have long-term implications for you and your family. Obviously, your goal is to make a smart and safe decision — and steer clear of a partnership that may ultimately prove to be disappointing, excessively and unnecessarily costly, and stressful.

To help you head in the right direction — and make the correct choice — here are 5 critical questions to ask any prospective immigration attorney during your initial consultation. 

Read More

Posts by popularity

Posts by category