R-1 Religious Visa

Our Dallas Immigration Attorney Help Clients Apply for R-1 and R-2 Religious Visas in Texas

The R visa allows religious workers to come to the U.S temporarily to work in religious occupations. Examples of R visa religious workers are monks, nuns, missionaries, and religious brothers and sisters. At Pollak PLLC, our Dallas R1 visa attorney has the professional skills and legal knowledge to help clients navigate the immigration process. If you or your family member is applying for an R1 religious visa, we can help. To set up a strictly confidential initial consultation with a top Texas immigration lawyer, please call our Dallas law office at  (214) 307-5510 or reach out to us online. 

An Overview of R Visas

Also sometimes referred to simply as a religious worker visa, an R-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that authorizes certain qualifying religious professionals to live and work in the United States. With this visa, a recipient must work on a part-time (20 hours or more) or full-time basis. Not everyone who works in a religious capacity can qualify for a R visa. Here are the key R visa requirements: 

  • The religious worker must have been a member of a religious denomination for at least 2 years immediately preceding the filing of the R-1 visa application; 
  • The religious denomination must have an affiliation in the United States; 
  • The petitioning U.S. organization must be a non-profit religious organization that is tax exempt, or one that would be tax exempt if it had applied; 
  • The religious worker must enter the U.S. to pursue religious vocation or occupation, and prove that there are sufficient funds to support the religious worker’s financial needs without recourse to employment other than the religious work for which the visa is granted. 

R-1 Visas: Three Year Duration, One 2-Year Extension 

While there is sometimes variation, the R-1 visa is usually issued for 3 years with an option of one 2 year extension. In general, the two year extension will be granted as long as the R-1 visa recipient still meets all of the qualified standards and conditions. 

A Spouse and Children May Qualify for an R-2 Visa 

If your application for an R-1 visa is approved, you may also be eligible to bring certain dependents to the United States. Specifically, the spouse or children (under 21 years old) of an R visa religious worker may be qualified to obtain an R-2 visa. While dependents may become students in the U.S, they may not be employed. If you have any questions or concerns about R-2 visas, our Dallas, TX immigration lawyer can help. 

What to Know About the R Visa Application Process

The application process for the R visa includes the sponsor and/or applicant filing a petition with the USCIS or U.S. consulate. This means that before you can apply for an R-1 visa (and R-2 visa for your spouse/children), your sponsor should file a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker on your behalf. The application waiting period will fluctuate but in general, is several months. As with all U.S. immigration paperwork, it is crucial that every small detail is accurate and that your application is submitted with all supporting documents and records. Seemingly small errors can cause serious problems for religious worker visa applicants. 

You Can Trust Texas Immigration Attorney Karen-Lee Pollak

The R-1 visa application process is complicated. You do not need to go through it alone.  Our managing attorney Karen-Lee Pollak and experienced immigration support team work with the sponsor and/or applicant to submit the most complete and thorough petition, which emphasizes the applicant’s education, qualifications, and experience. When you reach out to our Dallas office, you will have the opportunity to speak to a Texas RI visa attorney who will: 

  • Answer your questions and explain the application process;
  • Complete all of the immigration paperwork; and
  • Help you overcome potential challenges to getting an R-1 visa. 

Additionally, the immigration team at Pollak PLLC knows the processes and procedures to work with various government agencies to ensure the best possible outcome. With a devotion to personalized representation, you can rely on our Dallas R-1 visa lawyer to put in the time and attention to detail that your immigration case deserves. 

Contact Our Dallas, TX R1 Visa Lawyer for Immediate Help 

At Pollak PLLC, our Dallas immigration lawyer is committed to providing personalized, solutions-driven guidance to clients. If you have any questions or concerns about R1 visas, we are more than qualified to help. Call us at (214) 307-5510 or use our online contact form to set up a fully confidential case evaluation. From our office in Dallas, we serve communities throughout North Texas, including in Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, and Rockwall counties.

Disclaimer and Terms of Use


Alerts SEE ALL




Contact us today to speak with our managing attorney Karen-Lee Pollak and experienced immigration support team.