When Immigration Matters

Sponsoring an Employee on an H-1B Visa | Who Qualifies?

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Jun 10, 2017 9:00:00 AM

dream-act-button-resized-120.jpgh-1b visaThe H-1B is a non-immigrant visa that allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in a specialty occupation for a period of three years. The visa can be extended for an additional three years. The employer can also employ the employee part-time.

Must Be a Specialty Position 

  • A bachelor’s degree or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum requirement for the particular position; 
  • The degree requirement is common for this position in the industry, or the job is so complex or unique that it can only be performed by someone with at least a bachelor's degree in a field related to the position;
  • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position; or
  • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree. 

Next Topic - Filing Fees

The next topic covered in our four part series on the H-1B specialty occupation visa will discuss filing fees.

Learn More

To learn more about how to sponsor an employee on an H-1B visa, contact the team at Pollak PLLC today.

We are passionate about helping people realize the American Dream, reuniting families, and bringing the best and brightest minds to the U.S. so they can pursue their goals and make a positive, meaningful contribution to the community.


Karen-Lee Pollak is the Managing Attorney at Pollak PLLC located in Dallas, Texas. She is a frequent speaker, author and blogger on immigration issues. She can be reached at karenlp@pollakimmigration or under her twitter handle law_immigration.

Tags: Non Immigrant Visas, H-1B Visa, Specialty Occupation Visa, H-1B

Contact Us Today

Posts by popularity

Posts by category