When Immigration Matters

Immigration 101: E-1 or Treaty-Trader Visa

Posted by Michael Pollak on Aug 17, 2009 2:04:00 PM

An E-1 or Treaty-Trader visa is for individuals involved in the exchange, purchase or sale of goods, services or merchandise. Services include but are not limited to technology architecture, engineering consulting or accounting services. The trade must principally be between the United States and the treaty country. That is, more than 50 percent of the total volume of international trade must be between the U.S. and the treaty country. Also, the amount of trade must be sufficient to ensure a continuous flow
of international trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.

E-1 or Treaty-Trader VisaFinally, the trade in goods and services should be "substantial" in terms of value, volume or a large number of small transactions. There is no minimum dollar amount necessary for the investment to be considered "substantial" and this requirement is determined on a case by case basis. For example, the import or export of a million widgets at $0.50 per widget would be considered substantial.  However, importing three machines at $333,000 per machine may not be considered substantial.

Tags: E-1, Treaty-Trader Visa, Immigration Visas

Contact Us Today

Posts by popularity

Posts by category