Immigration reform has become a hot topic again. Recently President Obama invited leaders from both parties to meet with him to discuss solutions to this important issue. The result is a framework for action created by Senators Charles E. Schumer (D - NY) & Lindsey O. Graham (R - SC). Highlights include:
- Confirmation that the overwhelming majority of Americans oppose illegal immigration and support legal immigration.
- Our history and greatness is deeply rooted in diversity and the contributions of generations of immigrants from around the world.
- Implementing technology (biometric Social Security cards) to create an effective employment verification system that holds employers accountable and prevents illegal immigrants from getting jobs.
- Enhancements to border security and interior enforcement including a zero-tolerance policy for those who commit other felonies after coming here illegally.
- Creating a process for admitting temporary workers.Attracting and retaining the world's best and brightest minds by providing green cards to highly educated immigrants.
- Developing a rational system for lower-skilled workers.
- Implementing a tough, but fair path to legalization for the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants already in the country.