When Immigration Matters

Potential Changes to the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Wed, May 16, 2018 @ 2:38 PM

In 1990, Congress created the EB-5 Program to stimulate the U.S. economy through job creation and capital investment by foreign entrepreneurs.  In 1992, Congress created the Immigrant Investor Program, also known as the Regional Center Program.  The USCIS determines whether a business is eligible for treatment as a Regional Center based on the business’proposal for the promotion of economic growth. Under these programs (“EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program”), foreign entrepreneurs (and their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21) are eligible to apply for green cards if they: (1) make the necessary investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States ($1,000,000 for a basic business or $500,000 for a business located in a Targeted Employment Area (TEA), i.e., a rural area or area with high unemployment); and (2) plan to create or preserve at least ten full-time jobs for qualified U.S. workers. 

Read More

How to Build Credit as a US Immigrant

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Tue, May 15, 2018 @ 10:30 AM

Coming to the United States as an immigrant presents a host of challenges that citizens born within the country simply don’t have to deal with. Unfortunately, many new immigrants find themselves behind the financial eight-ball because they either don’t understand the way credit works in the US, or they lack the ability to make regular payments on their debts. While it may seem like a daunting task to try and establish good credit from the ground up, it’s important to note that you can develop a healthy credit score with hard work and rational planning. Consider this your guide on how to build credit as a US immigrant:

Read More

US Immigration Statistics: Ten Years of H-1B Trends

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Mon, May 14, 2018 @ 10:30 AM

Last month, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) hit its pre-mandated annual H-1B visa “cap” five days after April 1 (the first day they began accepting H-1B visa applications). Nominally, the cap affords for USCIS to issue 65,000 H-1B visas every year –– with an additional 20,000 reserved for applicants with a Master’s degree. That’s 85,000 visas issued in total. Fairly straightforward, right? Well, not exactly. If you take the trouble to pour over certain US immigration statistics supplied by the USCIS itself, you'll find that not only does the number of H-1B visas given out per year exceed the cap of 85,000 –– but it does so by a significant total. So, to clear up the confusion around H-1B visas in the wake of the latest season, here’s an analysis of the past ten years of H-1B stats.

Read More

USCIS Changes its Position on STEM OPT Eligibility at Off Site Client Locations

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Sat, May 12, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

Without any formal announcement, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has recently updated its STEM OPT webpage to reflect a change in the agency’s interpretation of the 2016 STEM optional practical training rule for F-1 students.  The webpage now clearly states that the training experience must occur on site at the employer’s principal place of business or a location to which the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has authority to make visits. Its rationale is that ICE needs such access to ensure that the employer is satisfying the program’s training requirements. The USCIS states, “the [STEM OPT] training may not take place at the place of business or worksite of the employer’s clients because ICE would lack authority to visit such sites.”  For this same reason, distance or online training are prohibited, even if the employee makes periodic visits to the employer’s office. 

Read More

Karen-Lee Pollak Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 For Immigration

Posted by Michael Pollak on Thu, May 10, 2018 @ 10:53 PM

Immigration Attorney, Karen-Lee PollakKaren-Lee Pollak, Managing Attorney of Pollak PLLC has been recognized for the third consecutive year as one of the top immigration attorneys in the United States by Chambers USA 2018 legal directory by Chambers and Partners as “Leaders in their Field”.

According to Chambers USA 2018, Karen-Lee acts for a range of business clients and individuals in issues relating to visas and immigration employment. She is also noted for her handling of immigration litigation before federal court. She recently founded her own firm, having previously worked with Bell Nunnally & Martin.  Clients praise her as a "patient, helpful and very responsive" attorney, adding that "she has done an exemplary job assisting with all of our immigration needs."

Since 1990, Chambers and Partners has been identifying and ranking the most outstanding law firms and lawyers on the qualities of their associated attorneys and exclusively lists attorneys who are strongly recommended from in-depth interviews with peers and clients. Rankings are assessed on specific criteria, including legal knowledge and experience, technical legal ability, effectiveness, and client-service.

Pollak PLLC specializes in providing comprehensive immigration solutions to corporations, small businesses, investors and families interested in obtaining immigrant and non-immigrant visas to live and work in the United States. 

Read More

Karen-Lee Pollak Selected to D Magazine Best Lawyers in Dallas 2018

Posted by Michael Pollak on Mon, Apr 30, 2018 @ 5:42 PM

Karen-Lee Pollak, Managing Attorney of Pollak PLLC was selected for recognition in D Magazine’s annual listing of the Best Lawyers in Dallas for 2018.

This marks the 5th consecutive year Ms. Pollak was recognized for her work in the field of Immigration Law.   

“Our firm is dedicated to helping businesses, investors and families obtain U.S. immigrant and nonimmigrant visas to live and work in the United States.  “We do what we love and are passionate about helping people achieve the American Dream.”  said Pollak.  “To be continuously recognized by our fellow attorneys for our hard work is inspiring and a tremendous honor.”

With a track record of securing successful outcomes for clients, Pollak PLLC is known for obtaining U.S. visas in the most cost effective and expeditious manner for clients across the country and globally.    

The “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2018” list features attorneys across more than 34 practice areas chosen by fellow Texas attorneys based on their “diligence and expertise in representation.” The Best Lawyers in Dallas list is compiled from attorney nominations from Dallas and Fort Worth, a thorough screening process by D Magazine’s editorial team, and final review by a hand-picked, anonymous panel of the city’s most respected attorneys and the editors. The full listing will appear in the magazine’s May edition and online at http://www.dmagazine.com.

D Magazine describes attorneys featured on the “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2018” list as “members of the legal community representing the people and institutions of Dallas with mastery and drive,” and offering “unparalleled counsel.”

Pollak PLLC specializes in providing comprehensive immigration solutions to corporations, small businesses, investors and families interested in obtaining immigrant and non-immigrant visas to live and work in the United States. 

Read More

MyBroadband Article - Looking to Live & Work in the USA

Posted by Michael Pollak on Thu, Mar 15, 2018 @ 11:21 AM

What South Africans Need to Know - Options to Live and Work in the USA 

Read More

What Does Dual Intent Mean in Regard to Work Visas?

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Tue, Mar 13, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

Before we get into the intricacies of this immigration concept, let’s first define dual intent. In legal terms, dual intent refers to a type of visa that, while officially temporary in nature, also allows the visa holder to seek permanent residency in the US through a green card. This distinction of dual intent is particularly vital to recognize in non-immigrant (temporary) work visas. Remember that dual intent in regard to work visas refers to both 1) the desire to come and work in the US in a temporary capacity and 2) the long-term desire to immigrate to the US permanently. Simple enough so far? Let’s dig a little bit deeper then.

Read More

5 Tips to Avoid Shady Immigration Attorneys

Posted by Karen-Lee Pollak on Fri, Mar 09, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

Choosing the right immigration attorney for your case is one of the most important decisions you might make, well, ever. That’s because dealing with the complexities and nuances of immigration law is an extremely difficult task on your own, and having a dedicated professional in your corner can make a huge difference for your chances of success. However, while we’d love to say that all immigration attorneys are above board, the unfortunate truth is there are always people looking to profit from someone else’s trouble. It’s sad but true. The good news is, you can vet prospective lawyers before you make your decision. To that end, we’ve compiled five tips on how to spot shady immigration attorneys –– so you can find the best partner to help you succeed.

Read More

Karen-Lee Pollak Offering Seminars in Cape Town & Joburg from April 6th - 22nd

Posted by Michael Pollak on Wed, Mar 07, 2018 @ 10:38 PM

Visa Options for South Africans wanting to Live and Work in the USA? 

Read More

Posts by popularity

Posts by category